Friday, August 10, 2007

Down to Belize

We hung around in Cancun that afternoon, and decided to get a 6 hour bus down to Belize the following day.

The bus was pretty cool, met this random guy who claimed to be part of the former Mexican olympic field hockey team in 1978 which I was a bit dubious about. But he seemed to know a lot about the subject and then brought out an official guide with his name on it so it would have been a bit of a bizarre and well executed hoax if he was making it up.

We arrived in Chetumal and got a bus across the border to Corozal in Belize. We had an argument with the ticket guy who had charged us double and managed to get our money back. Then we hung out in Corozal waiting for a boat to take us to San Pedro. We waitred for four hours in the sun but it was nice enough and I started to chatting to fisherman who was oroginally from New Jersey. Peoiple here seem much more easy going than elsewhere.

We stayed in San Pedro one night and headed here to Caye Caulker, another island whjich reminds me of Jamaica. We've averaged over 9 hours a day of travelling so far so I think we'll stay here for a day or so to get our beariungs back. I was so tired yesterday I had to leave a meal early at about 8pm as I was so jetlagged. We've been waking up every day at about 5am.

No comments: