Monday, September 3, 2007

Volcano boarding in Nicaragua



I travelled down to Leon, Nicaragua with Kris. One of the first things that caught our eye was a trip to hike up a volcano and then go down it on a modified snowboard. The drive to the site took an hour or so on a pretty sketchy road. Then the hike up was a reasonable 40 minute scramble in the heat. The views from the top were pretty amazing, and as soon as i get them emailed I´ll put them up.

Then I had to board all the way down. I kept asking the guide about injuries and he kept denying anyone had any, but when I pressed him he admitted that people had been pretty badly grazed, and I met a girl in a bar later that day who had damaged her knee joint to the extent that she was returning to the States as the quality of medical care was so poor.

I had no knowledge of this when I stood at the top of a 700 metre volcano however, only that I was terrified and that I wasn´t sure why I was doing this. Setting off I actually found it relatively straightforward, and the overall journey was pretty swift, and although I fell off a couple of times I didn´t seriously hurt myself.

That night I met a whole bunch of people at the hostel´s quiz night, and we all hung out together as a group for about a week or so, going out partying and going to the beach. Great days.

No comments: